Ex-candidate says Liberals knew about controversial posts before ouster

Canada

A recently ousted Liberal candidate says the party knew about his controversial social media posts well before he was turfed as the nominee in a Montreal riding.Hassan Guillet told reporters today he met officials with the federal party on Aug. 8 to discuss the old posts. He says the Liberals were convinced he was neither racist not anti-Semitic.Story continues below

READ MORE: Former Montreal Liberal candidate Hassan Guillet ‘completely shocked’ by accusationsBut they revoked his nomination in the Saint-Leonard-Saint-Michel riding last Friday after a Jewish advocacy group unearthed the series of old statements he made on social media that were critical of Israel and U.S. foreign policy.He says he and the Liberals had already discussed an action plan that involved outreach to the Jewish community.WATCH BELOW: Former Liberal candidate refutes anti-Semitic accusations

Leave a Reply